Power tools specialist DeWalt intends to drill deep into the rugged smartphone market with its MD501 Android device. As you would expect, this smartphone is overtly ruggedized in style and checks off an impressive list of specs such as IP68 dust and water proofing/resistance, MIL810G impact and shock proofing and general toughness to extremes of weather, pressure, chemicals and vibration. Other key aspects of the design that will appeal to those on-site or in-the-field include Dual-SIM functionality, 4G connectivity, ‘rapid’ GPS, NFC, and Qi wireless charging.
The DEWALT MD501 is a rugged Android smartphone, built to exacting DEWALT standards. The handset combines high-end performance and ease-of-use with a robust, rugged construction to deliver an unparalleled range of features and reliable user experience wherever required – at home, at work, at play.
Product description on the DeWalt website
The Technical specifications of the rugged MD 501 are as follows:
- Processor: MediaTek MT6735 1.3 GHz, 64-bit quad core with ARM Mali-T720 GPU
- Memory: 2GB RAM, 16GB storage (+ up to 64GB microSD)
- Cameras: 13MP main, 5MP front
- Battery: 3950mAh with Qi wireless charging. Standby 450 hrs. Talktime 2G/3G: 480/420 min
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM 4G LTE-FDD Band 1/3/7/20/28, LTE-TDD Band 39/40/41, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100 MHz, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
- Size/Weight: 156 x 82 x 14 mm, 245g
- OS: Android 5.1
- Other features: Radio, USB OTG, G-sensor, gyroscope, pressure, magnetic, light & range sensors, GPS, AGPS, GLONASS.
DeWalt also claims the phone can survive a 2 meter drop on concrete surfaces, is waterproof upto 30 meters and can operate j temperatures ranging from -20 °C to 60 °C.
The MD501 is expected to launch in the UK in Late April/Early May and later this year in other countries. The box will contain the Mobile Phone, a USB Cable, Charger, USB OTG Adapter Cable, Headset, Quickstart Manual, Additional Display Protection Foil, Cleaning Towel, Screwdriver, Warranty Card. DeWalt has not confirmed pricing as of yet but are accepting trade enquiries on their website