Programmer community site Stack Overflow’s new survey has revealed that the OS X is overshadowing Linux again this year as the more popular operating system among developers and while Windows still leads the pack – currently at 52.2%, combining all major releases,
Last year, Mac edged ahead of the Linuxes as the number 2 operating system among developers. If OS adoption rates hold steady, by next year’s survey fewer than 50% of developers may be using Windows.
On the Linux side, Ubuntu is tops among them with 12.3% of the entire OS market for developers. Fedora, Mint, and Debian accounted for 1.4%, 1.7%, and 1.9% of all responses, respectively.
The survey is based on answers from more than 56,003 developers among 173 countries, and is considered to be one of the most comprehensive developer survey ever conducted.
Key Findings on Technology:
- React is the fastest growing technology on Stack Overflow. Swift is exploding too, and Objective-C is in decline.
- Rust is the most-loved programming language. A higher percentage of developers who program with it want to continue to do so more than any other programming language.
- Visual Basic is the most dreaded language. A higher percentage of devs who program with it don’t want to continue with it more than any other programming language.
Key Findings about Developers at Work:
- 91% of developers in the workforce are “gainfully employed” either full-time, self-employed, or freelance.
- 46% of developers don’t have a bachelor’s in computer science or a related field.
- Developers just want to code. Job satisfaction is highly correlated with pushing code to production. 57% of developers check-in or commit code multiple times per day.
- Cloud technologies like Spark and Cassandra pay better than anything else.The median salary for developers in the US who know Spark is $125k, and there are plenty of cloud devs who are making a lot more than that.
Student , Gamer , Blogger , Audiophile .