Just when you thought your stomach was full from E3 ‘s major announcements this June, Germany’s Gamescom comes forth with a much bigger and varied platter. It might not have the flagship reveals of E3, but all the major games makers are here with plenty to show off. From playing demos of upcoming games , everyone roaming around in costumes as well as cosplay events taking place, Gamescom never fails to impress , even in terms of public attendance .
Gamescom started in 2009 and is held annually at the Koelnmesse convention centre in Cologne, Germany. It usually takes place during the month of August. The first day this year (Tuesday 22nd August) was for trade and media only, the show then opened to the public from Wednesday 23rd August running till Saturday 26th August.
To prolong the E3 hype , similar press conferences were held by the big shots – Electronic Arts , Xbox , Bethesda , Ubisoft as well as Nintendo . Apart from this , Blizzard and Nvidia had some big announcements and entertained us with their shows .
Microsoft revealed a limited edition of the upcoming Xbox One X termed as Project Scorpio Edition – and then immediately opened pre-orders (which then almost immediately sold out).
- Xbox One S will feature a Minecraft theme
- The much awaited Sea of Thieves will support cross-play between PC and Xbox
- PlayerUnknown’s Battleground is an Xbox One console exclusive
- New jaw-dropping trailers for both Assassin’s Creed : Origins and Middle-earth : Shadow of War
Surprisingly that’s not all, Microsoft had even more up their sleeve . The next day it hosted an Age of Empires live stream which brought three more big announcements : Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is set to release on the 19th of October , news that Age of Empires II and III were getting the same 4K remaster treatment and the shocking announcement of Age of Empires IV. I mean seriously Microsoft set the stage on fire
EA did not deliver any groundbreaking news , instead they added more icing to the upcoming games announced at E3 .
- FIFA 18 got its very own trailer
- A brand new trailer for Star Wars Battlefront II’s Starfighter Assault
- The new BMW M5 will be available for the first time in Need For Speed : Payback
- The Sims 4 is coming to Xbox One and PS4 in November. It is also getting a new Cats & Dogs expansion on November 10
- EA Originals’ Fe will be playable in Nintendo Switch
- EA also announced Battlefield 1 Revolution edition – a collection of all the Battlefield 1 content released so far, as well as revealing a new in-development 5-on-5 mode called Incursions in Battlefield 1
Nintendo stole the show at E3 and they didnt disappoint at Gamescom either. Like Sony , Nintendo prefers to keep things low key when it comes to Gamescom but they still bagged some decent announcements.
- Metroid : Samus Returns got a new trailer as you can see
- A new food-themed ‘Luncheon Kingdom’ for Super Mario : Odyssey
- SNES inspired 3DS XL will be available in Europe from October 13
- A new trailer for Fire Emblem Warriors which will be available for Nintendo Switch and 3DS
- Pre-orders are now open for Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
- Three new games : Super Mario 3D land, Luigi’s Mansion 2 and Kirby Triple Deluxe were announced for the Nintendo Select 3DS range
Bethesda’s biggest news was nothing new. Three upcoming VR titles which were announced in E3, now have their release dates : November 17 for Skyrim VR, December 1 for Doom VFR, and December 12 for Fallout 4 VR. Apart from this they announced that Wolfenstein II will be an Xbox One X Enhanced game. This year at Gamescom Bethesda focused on showcasing their upcoming games rather than making any new announcements.
Blizzard and Activision
Overwatch got its very own a new animated short featuring Mei whereas Hearthstone, World of Warcraft and other Blizzard games got new updates in their livestream . WoW’s latest patch – 7.3- will be called as Shadow of Argus and features multiple new playable regions on Argus. Blizzard also hosted a cosplay contest which was a bomb. Check out below!
Activision on the other hand concentrated on only two games at Gamescom 2017 – but they were the main deal. The company revealed the new Headquarters feature for Call of Duty:WW2 and showed off the launch trailer for Destiny 2, while both games were playable on the show floor.
Nvidia and Square Enix
Nvidia and Square Enix dropped a bomb with their key announcement . Are you ready for it?
FINAL FANTASY XV is coming for PC!
Check out this video for highlights ->
- A new trailer for Life is Strange: Before the Storm
- Destiny 2 will feature HDR on PC
- Shadow of War and Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 will have Ansel support, allowing you to take and edit screenshots in-game.
The main hype about Gamescom is that you can actually play a demo of all the awesome upcoming games . Apart from revealing two new trailers for Assassin’s Creed : Origins (one cinematic and one gameplay), as well as the announcement of a new game: Anno 1800 , Ubisoft gave us the pleasure of experiencing quite a few AAA-rated games. Fans were able to play Assassin’s Creed: Origins, Far Cry 5 , The Crew 2 as well as Mario + Rabbids : Kingdom Battle.
The Evil Within 2 gave people quite the scare at the Bethesda booths while at the Sony booths people were getting their minds blown by Detroit: Become Human, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Gran Turismo Sport . Nintendo gave fans the chance to play upcoming games like Super Mario Odyssey, Metroid: Samus Returns and Pokken Tournament DX. It was definitely “Game On” for Gamescom 2017.
Till we Game again
That wraps it up for the trip down memory lane of Gamescom 2017 . Sadly players have to wait another year for this breathtaking experience . Lets see what these developers have in store for us , and stay hyped up for the upcoming titles.