E3 2016 is almost here.The most well-known gaming convention will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 14 to June 16, though there will be press conferences on both June 12 and June 13.
is almost here.The most well-known gaming convention will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 14 to June 16, though there will be press conferences on both June 12 and June 13.
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA), the organizer of E3 2016, sent out a press release with lots of interesting data pertaining to this year’s event. For instance, 130 products will make their debut at E3 2016 with over 2K products in total being showcased (last year there were “only” 1.6K).
- 66 companies will make their debut at E3 this year, including Shacknews, Starbreeze Studios, T-Mobile and Monster
- Along with E3 Live, this year’s show will be all about the “prosumer,” with thousands of video game fans getting direct access to the show.
- Over 90 E3 exhibitors will have presence in the mobile space, up from 70 the previous year. They will be featured in the show’s Online and Mobile Game Pavilion, and more mobile companies are expected to join in the years ahead.
- 53 exhibitors will feature virtual or augmented reality technology this year, nearly double the amount of the 27 featured last year.
- One-third of E3’s exhibitors will be international companies, which marks the global growth of the computer and video game industry.
- More than 2,000 products will be featured at the show, an increase over last year’s 1,600 products. 130 products will make their debut during the week of the event, with a number of surprise reveals.
In the same press release, the ESA also shared some statistics from their latest industry report. Stay tuned on WCCFtech to get every update coming out of E3 2016.
- With numbers provided by the NPD, the video game industry has managed to generate more than $23.5 billion in revenue last year, with the latest growth attributed to software sales ($16.5 billion for the year).
- Digi-Capital notes that the AR/VR market will exceed $150 billion by 2020, with video games being a huge driving factor.
- Eight of the top 10 paid apps through the Apple App Store are games, and its category makes up 74 percent of the store front’s overall revenue. That’s a smaller number compared to Google Play, with 90 percent of its games making up its overall revenue.
- Cloud gameplay will reach 66 million U.S. households by next year.
- The gaming audience has changed quite a bit over the past few years, with the ESA and AARP reporting that 41 million Americans age 50 and older are gamers, while three-quarters of gamers age 50 and above play on a weekly basis. Meanwhile, 43 percent of gamers age 60 and older also play daily.
- 62 percent of parents whose children play games also do so, taking part in sessions with kids at least once per week.
- Gamers like to share play experiences with others, as 54 percent of gamers play with others, either online or in-person; while 51 percent take part in multiplayer match-ups on a weekly basis.