Square Enix has released a new trailer for its upcoming entry in the Deus Ex video game series, Mankind Divided. The video can be seen below.
The trailer contains a mix of gameplay and story, with special focus on Jensen’s mission as seen in the E3 gameplay demo last year. It also provides the following details about the story:
- The Panchea incident and the resulting fallout against the Augmented caused the death of 50 million people, with thousands more maimed an injured.
- Adam’s recruitment into Task Force 29 was not smooth; many people within the team objected to it, but Interpol decided to recruit him into the counter-terrorism team because of his advanced capabilities.
- Adam’s military enhancements are hiding an “entire set” of experimental Augments, to the point where his own body cannot handle them all.
- Adam is stationed in Prague, which is described as the “epicenter of Aug terrorism” but is just one square on a much larger board.
- Adam’s mission is to bring the leader of the ARC, Talos Rucker, to justice and and Adam decides to “interrogate” him on the reality of the “non-violent” protests they have been putting up, while “dealing with his Aug army”.
- ARC has a heavily defended territory and Adam has to infiltrate it to get to Rucker.
- Adam can engage the ARC militia with either a volley of high-end weaponry and his augs, which he believes is the sensible approach to “strong-arm” Rucker into surrendering or he can go in quietly, which he believes will convince him to persuade Rucker to help him.
- Rucker’s response to Adam’s interrogation will change according to how he chooses to go through the ARC militia.
- Adam’s collection of intel from outside Task Force 29 has instilled questions in him about everything, including what his command actually intends to achieve.
- Adam is told that he, like everyone else, will have to choose a side in the very near future.
In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, you become Adam Jensen, a counter-terrorism agent working for an Interpol unit known as Task Force 29. On the surface, Jensen’s goal is to hunt down terrorists in a world that’s spinning out of control, where mechanically augmented humans live a life of complete and total segregation from the rest of society. But what he’s really after are the Illuminati: the men and women who are always pulling the strings.
His investigation will take you around the world, with the decisions you make and the actions you take playing a crucial role in determining the game’s outcome. Choose between combat, stealth, social, and hacking approaches to achieve your objectives. Be mindful though, as there will be a meaningful consequence to every action and choice you make.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will launch on 23rd August, 2016 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. A collector’s edition is available for Pre-order on all platforms and contains all content from the base game, plus a limited edition Steelbook case, a 9″ Adam Jensen figurine and a 49-page “Titan” art book.
I started gaming with Minesweeper on my dad’s office computer that ran Windows 95 and have been hooked since. I’ve spent many hours on classics like Wolfenstein 3D and today, I spend several more on games like Deus Ex, Darksiders, Just Cause and keep a special place in my heart for BioShock and Metro 2033. I may have a background in computer science, but I aspire to write and direct a film adaptation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat one day. I love cats, cooking and light, soothing music. Huge Godzilla fan.